Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Gettin' old

On Sunday, I was sitting peacefully in my living room, reading the latest issue of the Washington City Paper and waiting for the other members of my book club* to come over. I started to get up to pull the little wannabe quiches I'd made out of the oven and as I leaned forward to hoist myself off my chaise lounge, I felt something go sproing in my back. Wuh-oh.

Friends, that is never a good thing. The spasm got worse throughout book club and by Monday morning, I couldn't handle standing up. I felt ridiculous - like I was an Old Old Person - but I had to call in sick for work as a result of my back. I'm sure my colleagues were like jesus, if you want to have a three-day weekend, just take one already - enough with the made-up illnesses! Except mine was for real. Lame, yes, but an honest-to-god ailment.

At any rate, copious applications of Tiger Balm put me on the road to recovery. Thanks dude!

* Our book club's latest discussion was T.C. Boyle's The Tortilla Curtain. That book is one of the best depictions of race relations in Los Angeles, even if it is nearly a decade old, and a great read to boot (think I finished it in under three hours). Check it out.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Scully said…

    I hope you're feeling better and this isn't a recurring event.

    Thanks for the book recommendation. Sounds very interesting.

    And you're not old.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Road Runner said…

    Or how about when you throw your back out from rising out of a chair and your cat runs underneith your feet at the same time making you decide either to immediately stand up straight at risk of further back injury OR let gravity take over and be toppled to the ground by a cat. Not saying it's happened to anyone we know, but maybe it has.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Dustbunny (also known as BeachBunny) said…

    Roadrunner does NOT know what he's talking about. My balance has issues, let's just leave it at that. ;-p

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger cash advance san diego4df said…

    Sensational blog. I took pleasure in the site and I
    will go back! Surfing online for blogs like this one
    is worth my time.
    Hey playa! You need to check out my ace cash advance blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>