Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My eyes, my delicate eyes

Saturday's bachelorette party was interesting...from a sociological standpoint. We went to a strip club that explicitly said on its website that it catered to women, largely because we felt that it wouldn't be fair to inflict our bridal party on a place that was populated mostly by men. So we get there and half the people are wearing bridal veils and/or feather boas; the bass is pumping; and the drinks are STRONG. Knock-me-on-my-ass strong, and I have quite a tolerance.

But then the guys came out on stage and, well, not to sound like a dirty old man, but they only went down to their G strings. What up with that? I've been to strip clubs with my gay male friends, and their entertainers go all the way. Do they think that women are too delicate to handle full frontal nudity?

ZFF suggested that perhaps it was done out of a sense of safety (keeping dangly bits from smacking into members of the audience); HotPants Esquire posited that maybe it was more to protect the dancers from the members of the audience. Now that last one I can actually agree with. Some of those ladies got a tiny bit out of control. I of course was the model of propriety, as always.

At any rate, it was a lot of fun hanging out with the bridal party, some of whom I've known since I was 5 and none of whom I get to see as often as I'd like.

**********

I flew in and out of Long Beach airport this weekend. I really would rather use LAX, as it's almost always a cheaper option, but my dad loves LGB like a 4th child, so I suck it up and try to fly through there whenever possible. It's roughly the same travel time to my parents' house as LAX, but the kicker is that it can be accessed largely via side streets. For my dad, a man who spent much of his working life commuting on LA's horribly overcrowded freeways, it's the holy grail of driving options.

And I must admit it is a very cute airport. I don't know if you've seen any of JetBlue's commercials on TV, but if you have, they were filmed at LGB. It's wee - there are I think two luggage carousels. And it's very pretty. As soon as you exit the plane onto the tarmac, you are struck by the scent of the nearby ocean and are welcomed by numerous palm trees. Just in case you forgot that you landed in California.

********

Anyways, I came back to a yowling cat and kitchen garbage that had clearly turned while I was gone. Good to be home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>