Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Holding the dog hostage

I dropped The Texan off at the airport today, a startling change of pace, since I'm the traveller of the two of us. But he'd gotten wind of a Shire horse*...convention? Meeting? Whatever you'd call a conflagration of them, and it's occurring in Denver this week. When he first learned of this event, I told him, sounds nice but um I think I have to work that week. So he's flying solo, and I'm by myself with the pets until next week, at which point I will be the one leaving for a trip and all will be right in the world again.

This jaunt to Colorado is a dream trip for The Texan: despite his name, he lived in central Colorado for the better part of the decade and still dreams of living in the mountains again. Plus he gets to look at horses for a whole weekend. I told him that if he called and said he was staying, I was keeping the dog but sending him the cat.** That should get him back home ASAP.

Anyways, this is the first time I've been on my own in SA since I've moved here nearly three years ago. I am getting all the Indian and Thai food I can choke down (stuff that The Texan does like, but in much smaller doses than I do), plus it's all indie movies, all the time! And the bed is going to stay unmade, just because I am feeling cah-RAZY. Of course, this is the perfect chance to see if I've truly changed my slovenly ways or if I'll backslide into a pit of discarded newspapers, dirty clothes, and empty soda cans. I'm putting my money on #2.

* Shires, for those of you who like myself aren't horsey, are the overgrown horses Budweiser uses in their Christmas commercials. Imagine elephants, except a little more graceful. I hope they reinforce the floor of wherever they're hosting the Shire show.

** Whenever we hear about divorcing couples fighting over the pets, we always laugh. That's one thing we won't ever have to experience, as there is no way either of us would let go of "our" pet (the cat for me, the dog for him). Oh, and the fact that we really hope not to get divorced. We agreed to stick it out for the first 44 years; after that, we'll consider our options.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Buttwiper uses Clydesdales, not Shires.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>