Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

I'm going straight to hell

This is awful, but during last night's State of the Union address (which I watched only because my cat was in my lap and I couldn't move) (what? just because he has a purple collar engraved with "princess" and a leetle gold crown doesn't mean he's spoiled), a moment that many found heart-felt had me stifling back laughter.

It was the part where the mother of a slain U.S. Marine hugged an Iraqi woman who had voted on Sunday. They were both crying, everyone was applauding, it was all quite touching. Except when the mom tried to disengage herself and couldn't since she got all snagged in the Iraqi woman's sweater. Hee. That is totally something that would happen to me: go on national TV and do something clumsy like that.

Although, it wasn't just me who thought that wasn't the best image to be broadcasted. The cameraperson had zeroed in on the two women, but when the snafu became apparent, the camera suddenly reared back and panned over the crowd.

Oh, what did I think about the actual content of the speech? I particularly enjoyed the boo's Bush got when he talked about Social Security reform. If we ever got to the point where the minority party razzed our leader the way the Brits do in their parliament, I would sign up for C-SPAN in an instant.

That doesn't count as analysis of Bush's words? Damn, you guys just won't let up. Okay, I am glad that he didn't mention North Korea, but Syria and Iran have been put on notice, something which makes me a bit worried. There are those neocons in Washington who have been biting back their tongues for the past year who will leap to prove that their policy worked in Iraq - hey, they had an election, mission accomplished, right? - and move on to "reapply" the policy of preemption elsewhere.

Also, the social initiatives Bush proposed are unsettling. A Constitutional amendment to define marriage? Protecting "life"? No activist justices on the Supreme Court? "Clean" nuclear power? Good thing Bush got a so many votes, or else he'd be steam-rolling over a good chunk of the American electorate in his zeal to play to the conservative wing of the Republican party. Oh. He didn't, and he is? My bad.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Stuart Ressler, M.D. said…

    I do hope your cat (with the princess collar and gold crown) to whom you refer as "he" is not a neutered male. I'm notifying the AHA, your blog will be blacklisted. Mark my words.
    Josh

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>