Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

You know you're in Texas....

....when the gym is playing country & western music. God, as if having to work out first thing in the morning wasn't punishment enough. My (revived) iPod did its best to drown it out, but still warblings of "my back and butt hurt, but I still get to my church for my woman" made it through my earbuds.

Besides the basic triteness of that song - it reminded me of that tired joke about playing C&W music backwards (you get your truck back, your dog back, and your woman back) - it rubbed me the wrong way, as it was going on about how a woman pulled this guy together and made him fly right.

While I am all about grrl power, this sort of thinking, that a man needs a woman to make him a responsible part of society, just bugs the shit out of me. I can see how being with someone can make you a better person, as they can bring forth or encourage parts of you that you might not even know about. In fact, I think that the best relationships do just that.

But to make your personal development contingent upon someone else making you do so...come on, you're an adult. Do it yourself. I don't want a project, and most people I think would agree with me.

Plus, it was a really irritating song.

**********

Yesterday, in a move that I'm sure is completely unrelated to why I have to work out so goddamned much just to maintain my (sorry) level of fitness, The Texan and I hit the grocery store for after-VD candy. He got Sweet Tarts, I got Reese's Hearts. These were slightly smushed, but their essential core of deliciousness was unchanged. We ended up having a late lunch and just snacked for dinner. I ended up having Reese's hearts and leftover champagne from VD. The Texan and I have completely different tastes in champers - he likes sweet, while for me, the drier, the better (another reason why we're perfect for each other) - so special occasions entail the purchasing of two bottles of champagne. Oh darn, I have to have my own bottle. The horror...

2 Comments:

  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Her Ladyship,

    Did you know that in the UK until about a decade ago VD was the abbreviation for Venereal Disease, although it has now been replaced by first STD and now STI? So whenever you write VD I am not thinking "Valentine's Day" until I realize "STI" doesn't fit the context.

    Erik

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's ALL about the post-VD candy sales, baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>