Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Mind yer own beeswax

I realize that many people subscribe to the whole "it takes a village" mentality, but only when it comes to opining about other people's pregnancies, not when it comes to paying taxes for the little darlings' schools or the like. My co-worker who is eight months pregnant reported that at lunch today, the local hot dog cart vendor, who is normally a very nice man, refused to sell her soda on the grounds that "it will make the baby bald." Um, what? And aren't most babies relatively short on hair anyways?

My friend WWLD, who is possibly the most bad-ass person I know, stopped going out while pregnant because people kept coming up to her and ominously commenting, "I *hope* that all you're drinking is water." I like to think I would have flicked it in their faces and said, "You tell me," but that's probably just daydreaming on my part.

I know as someone who hasn't given birth, I can't even begin to imagine the pressures that a pregnant woman goes through. But one time, I was getting a pedicure with friends. The three of us were sitting in a row, chatting about who knows what, and somehow pregnancy came up. I mentioned that later in your pregnancy, you actually can drink a very leetle bit - everything in moderation, as they say - and the woman doing my pedicure got LIVID. She immediately started lecturing me about how everything I put in my body is transmitted to the fetus and how could I possibly do anything to taint that. Big words, I thought, for someone who clearly had had breast implants. I let it drop, though, as she was wielding some pretty big clippers and clearly had no qualms in using them to illustrate her point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>