Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Tap tap tap. This thing on?

Just checking.

So. Obligatory hungover post-St. Patty's Day post. Usually I swear off going near a bar on March 17 (also May 5) because of all the drunken amateurs. However, last night I was bullied - okay, maybe I was the bully. Really, in today's workaday world, who needs to apportion blame? - into going to Club Heaven for their much-loved 80s night. The thing that sealed the deal was that I had the trivia answer that would allow free entry. Thanks again, ZFF! I owe you. The doorman at Heaven, though, always acts like I'm ripping food out of his kids' mouths by getting in sans payment. Jesus, I drink my weight in alcohol once I'm there, it's not like the club is losing money on this. And, as always, even though I intended to stay "just for a little while," soon enough the Spandau Ballet's "Blue" was playing, the lights were coming back on, and it was time to go home.

One thing I did notice at Heaven was that, at one point, I was heads and shoulders above everyone on the dance floor. I'm really not that tall, but damn, it was a like a Munchkin gathering. Washington has its share of short-ish men (I like to blame it on the Napoleon complex that drives a huge chunk of this city), so it's not like I'm not used to it, but this was ridiculous. My friends noted it too. Our theory is it's something in the water supply. Then we started talking about how obesity may end up shortening the average American's lifespan and got into a really wonky discussion about it. While on the dancefloor. So I guess I belong in DC after all.

I haven't been yet, but I must admit I'm intrigued. The Common Share, aka "the Common Scare", has morphed into a chicken and waffles place. But they still serve beer? I'm confused. I don't know why they had to mess with their formula. Any place that has $2 beers and plenty of Boddingtons doesn't need to change a thing. Still, I do like chicken and waffles, albeit I usually eat them in entirely different meals. But that doesn't mean they *couldn't* be good together. I've seen places that serve them in LA, so someone's got to like the combo.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whenever I pick you up from your parents it feels like I'm picking you up on a date... "I'll have her home by 10PM Mr. Ladyship!" LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>