Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Only in DC

When I arrived at my pilates class this morning, I was puzzled by the appearance of orange and brown tape all over the studio's floor. I thought they looked rather like actor's marks, but I couldn't figure out what we were supposed to do with them. Seeing the confused expression on my face, my teacher pointed to the signs on the mirror. Apparently because some of the classes were getting crowded, there's a whole new rule set on how and where we place our yoga mats. That is such a typical DC, type-A response.

Granted, I'm no expert, but instituting a rules regimen seems to be against the spirit of yoga. Aren't we supposed to flow with the universe, not struggle against it? Luckily, my pilates teacher is something of a renegade, thinks the tape marks are a stupid idea, and didn't make us line up like showgirls.

BTW: Did anyone see "Arrested Development" last night? It's no spoiler to say that there's been a sub-plot lately about a seal. (That's as in the amphibious mammal, not the singer.) There's this one pilates move called "the seal." While I was attempting (and not really succeeding) to complete the move this morning, I kept flashing back to the show and setting myself off on barely-concealed giggle fits. I love "Arrested Development." Who'd have thought Jason Bateman would be doing such sterling work? Er, not that his previous efforts with "Silver Spoons" and "Teen Wolf II" weren't, um, good too.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bikram studios have lines on the carpet also. I don't mind them. It's for the instructor to get a good view of everyone. We don't have a seal pose, but we have a pretty challenging camel and rabbit pose. Interested in joining me?

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Her Ladyship said…

    That would be a hearty HELL NO. You Bikram people are nuts - I already have to live through those high temps and humidity in this swamp of a city. But I've been meaning to tell you: there's a guy in my pilates class who looks just, and I mean JUST, like your boyfriend. Has A. been undergoing any out-of-body experiences lately?

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, cool blog you got here. I'm a nut case surfer, but l know what I like.
    Have a good one!
    Always looking for pilates!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>