Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Back from the other side of the pond

Howdy all, I survived my 48-hour blitz on London. My bank account didn't - I hemorrhaged money while over there - but what the hell. It's just credit card debt, right? As always, I come back having learned very important lessons that I can't wait to share with the class. So. Here goes:

1) If you are prone to motion sickness, and they announce that you will have to board the plane and THEN wait two hours in a stuffy and hot cabin while it's de-iced, for the love of all that's holy, buy Dramamine.

2) Bring candy with which you can make amends to the flight attendants for the state in which you left the airplane lavatory. Seriously, it looked like a passle of hungover hobos had spent the night in there. Ick.

3) Leaving most of your stomach contents behind does wonders for fighting jet lag.

4) Brits are unfailingly polite...except when it comes to the Tube. Now, even in DC, we wait for people to get off the metro car before getting on. That apparently is an unknown concept for most Londoners.

5) Don't fool yourself: if you're not much of a museum-goer under the best of circumstances, you will have zero interest in tramping around one after having gotten half an hour of sleep on the flight over. And if you are in a modern art museum, bring someone with you who you can make smart-ass comments to, a la "this is art?" Otherwise, you'll scare and annoy patrons of the museum who just want to wander the galleries in peace.

6) The best way to make a million new best friends in clubs is to have a pink feather boa. Mine, which I got in the Camden Lock as part of the club kid gear that Frequent Flyer insisted I buy, made the rounds and at one point almost got away from me.

7) If you wear pink sunglasses indoors at night, and you accidentally knock over someone's full glass of beer, there is no way to avoid looking like an asshole. This would be where your American accent comes in handy, as we all are imperial pigs who don't give a rat's ass about other people's belongings.

8) If the menu in the Indian restaurant has three chilis next to a dish, and only one next to a vindaloo dish, it will be scorchingly hot. It also will be extremely delectable.

9) You can choose not to check your coat at a club and stow it behind a pillar. Just be prepared to smell like a brewery.

10) If your boots are so worn down that they have no grip, then SLOW DOWN while sprinting to catch your flight. Otherwise, you may end up wiping out on a moving walkway. My knee looks like I took a cheese grater to it. I'm thinking of telling people a much more exciting story, like that it's road rash from my Harley.

11) Make sure that the friend you're staying with is patient and generous. Thanks, Frequent Flyer, for being such an excellent host! Hope that I didn't leave too much blue glitter and pink feathers behind.

13 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Basket said…

    Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

    Merci pour est un bon blogger.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger heropoo said…

    Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about household bank credit card. It pretty much covers household bank credit card related stuff.

     
  • At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a **Dog Coats** site/. It pretty much covers the sale of custom made dog coats.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger startonline said…

    This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

    This may be of interest to you... I have a free credit card web portal. It pretty much covers free credit card stuff.

    I'll be sure to come back.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Thanks for you visit said…

    Greetings,

    I Really think you have a great blog here, and see you have a very high page ranking, I found this info out from this page. http://pr.blogflux.com/ Try it out.



    I have several pages of my own,

    I'ts about femme Clothing. This site is in French language.
    My second site is about Chaussures that is Shoes in french and bottes that is boots in french.

    My Third site is about Chocolate that is made in France. The Frech language just drops to e at the end so it is chocolat

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here!

    I have a dog coats wholesale site. It pretty much covers ##Coats for Dogs## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time.

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger tom naka said…

    Nice blog. Please check out my japanese restaurant los angeles site. It is all about japanese restaurant los angeles informations.

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Admin said…

    Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

    Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
    Disney World
    Thanks

     
  • At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a Health blog. It pretty much covers Dieting Health Fitness Exercise related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger www.k-and-ktreasures.com said…

    I just came across your blog about christmas party game and I think it is really informative for all of your members. You could consider visiting my site about christmas party game to guide your guests towards products and services related to christmas party game. Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found your blog on car loan colorado springs while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view car loan colorado springs for more great ideas.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger Credit Center said…

    I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
    I also have a web site & blog about credit cards for bad credit so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger delightfully-different said…

    Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
    site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
    finding blogs as good as your site.
    I can't explain, but you need to check my cash advance with savings account blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>