Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Good news/bad news

Good news: Contrary to what I'd believed, my heater is not about to blow. Lately it's been letting off this acrid smell every time I used it. In fact, last night I slept with my coat, cell phone, and keys on the bed, and instructed my cat to stick close in case we had to evacuate.

Let me tell you, the fastest way to get a repairperson to your house is to say these two little words: "electrical burns." I called at noon and had a guy scheduled to come at 1PM. Turned out it was an effect of my overly-dirty filter. Once again, my shoddy housekeeping skills come back to haunt me.

Bad news: My heater has been deemed a museum piece and is on its last gasps. Which means I could be in the middle of a lovely DC summer, when it's 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity, and it could opt to stop working. And new ones don't come cheap - a replacement would take an entire paycheck. So most people would start putting money aside for the inevitable. Not me though. I'm going to just stick my fingers in my ears - LALALA, I can't hear you - and hope for the best.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This sounds familiar... I thought I had a gas leak from inside my house. It was a false alarm, but I found myself to be very unprepared. Did you know you're not suppose to bother opening the windows? It was a scare (I can relate to sleeping with your coat), but at least I learned if you smell a gas leak from inside the house, call 911 from OUTSIDE of the house. TTYL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>