Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

First John Bolton at the UN, now this

It would seem that Paul Wolfowitz, neocon extraordinaire and major schemer for the war in Iraq, is the United States' choice to run the World Bank. Are we just trying to piss off our allies who didn't join the "coalition of the willing?" What is up with the big fuck-you's we've been giving multilateral organizations these days? Well, I do understand that's how the Bush administration functions, but damn. At least try to be a little less obvious about the whole thing.

I feel slightly guilty by association about Wolfowitz too: back in the day, he was the dean of my school. I never schmoozed with him at "breakfast with the dean" or anything like that, but still. Some taints just don't come off that easily. The only real interaction I ever had with him was once when he almost ran me over. He was ripping along a back alley that opened up on 17th St. I was crossing the driveway and he stopped...just in the nick of time. He looked almost as startled as I was. His car was a shiny cherry red Blazer. Should've known from that purchase that this is man who chooses style over substance.

I realize this has been done to death, but wow - it's going to be a long four years. Just when you think it can't get any worse...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>