Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Back to the grind

Although it doesn't feel like it as everyone else I know is taking today off. Damn federal employees.

Anyways, our holiday was good, but 10 days is a long time to spend away from home. Scratchel was VERY happy to see me when I got back. We spent the first few days at my sister and brother-in-law's in Las Vegas, where we did the strip thing, but that's pretty Disneyfied. I liked the old strip much better; that's where you can stumble around, drinking an everclear and fruit slushee out of a plastic football. Er, if you wanted to, I would never do anything so crass. We also walked around a nature preserve called Red Rock (guess why) and saw some wild...donkeys or burros, I forget which. Either way, they were very fuzzy and cute enough that I wanted to go up and hug them, but I decided that was probably not a wise decision. LA was nice - my family gets along well with The Texan. The highight was seeing friends and family. Plus we actually did something of culture this time: we visited the Getty museum, where, not to sound like a dork, they had an amazing exhibit on books of hours (prayer books from the middle ages). It's in a beautiful location on a crest in West LA. To the right is the Pacific Ocean, to the left is all of LA in its smoggy glory.

But it's good to be back. On NYE we had a little shindig, which was small but fun. We damn near had to use the firehose to get the last of the guests out by 4:30 AM. And I learned my lesson: no glitter confetti. I foolishly handed it out at my last NYE party and lived to regret it. Weeks later, guests reported that they were still washing it out of their hair; by the time I moved, nearly two years after the fact, I was still coming across stray bits of confetti. So this time we all behaved with great decorum. Except for the clackers - the chance to drive the dog nuts was too great to pass up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>