Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not for the oenophiles

I love me some wine. It was a taste that came about relatively late in life - when I first moved to Italy after college, I would put ice cubes in red wine, a move that horrified my Belgian roommate no end - but it's a love that has grown through the years. Specifically, I love red wine. I know that studies have shown that even experts can't tell the difference between red and white wine when blindfolded, and I have been to tasting parties where I've confused the two, but I'm sticking to my guns here. Am all about the red wine.

I even bought several bottles of a locally-grown Sangiovese blend when we were in Fredericksburg this weekend. Because what better place to grow an Italian grape than Texas' Hill Country? (BTW: One bottle down already. It's good stuff.)

So to sum: red wine makes me happy and I usually have a glass or so most days.

I've also been trying to eat healthier these days. Yes, I realize that perhaps massive quantities of wine is at crosspurposes with that idea. So I checked out how many calories a glass has. 120, not so bad, less than most beers. But imagine my horror when I found out what's considered to be a "glass"?

HALF A CUP.

Try and measure that out some time. It's like three drops in a wine glass... and that's the small kind. We bought some beautiful wooden goblets while in Jamaica this spring and I cringe to think of how many servings of wine each one holds.

Damn nutritional labels. I blame them. I'm sure my warped idea of what a "glass" should be has nothing to do with the super-sizing of American portions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>