Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Read 'em and weep

Last weekend, when we drove to Corpus Christi to go to the beach (North Padre Island RAWKS), we paid an insane amount of money for gas. Guess. Just guess. Lower. Nope, lower. Lower still.

Give up?

$2.35/gallon!

Even for an oil-processing city in an oil-rich state, that is unbelievable.

And Texas also allows you to drive on the beach, drink beer (that's in cans) while at the beach, and best of all, bring your dog to the beach. All plusses, in my opinion.

*************

And I hate to post links to YouTube, especially ones that are nearly a year old, but this clip has to be seen to be believed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCEnFhr6gw. Meet Hawkeye, the scuba-diving cat, and her best friend, Mutton, the scuba-diving dog. This cat is the kind of pet I've always wanted - basically an inert throw pillow that's not unlike a stuffed animal. I think that when my life flashes before my eyes, if the gods are kind to me, the last thing I'll see is Hawkeye floating placidly along in her scuba rig.

Of course, it makes you wonder how many iterations her owner had to go through before settling on the proper equipment that would allow the cat to scuba dive. Perhaps this isn't the first Hawkeye?

And while normally TV reporters who have to do these kinds of fluff stories sound like they're ready to slit their wrists, this guy narrating this piece has the voice of a man who's found gold. Which he has. I mean, the news team had to get an underwater camera and everything, and you know what? Totally worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>