Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A word to the wise

A little sage goes a loooong way.

Despite my rapidly-advancing years, I am something of a novice when it comes to cooking. This partially was because my mother was such a phenomenal cook that, growing up, I ceded the kitchen to her, and partially because I am a lazy ass. When I moved out on my own, 90% of my meals that I prepared were sauce from a jar poured directly onto pasta. That big thumping sound you just heard was the Italian half of my family spinning in their graves at that admission.

But when I moved to SA, The Texan balked at eating that much pasta. So we have worked out an arrangement where he cooks and I do the dishes, making both of us very happy. (He does laundry too, as well as all the yard work. I, um, provide moral support around the house.)

However, last night I was feeling somewhat guilty, as I hadn't cooked anything more complicated than soup in weeks. So I offered - nay, INSISTED - that I would cook The Texan saltimbocca and orzo salad. I used RollerDiscoMonkey's recipe, but decided at the last minute to swap out spinach and instead use sage. Turns out you can't just do a one-to-one ratio for the two. The saltimbocca was tasty but still at times a bit sagey - felt like you were biting into a tumbleweed. The orzo salad was good, but it would've been better had I mastered basic reading skills years ago like I should have and properly read how much feta needed to go in there. So we were a bit short.

Ah well, The Texan graciously ate everything on his plate and even had seconds of the saltimbocca. That should get me off the hook for dinner responsibilities until at least after Labor Day.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes, off the hook but...

    no more sage for you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>