Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

I am FAR too excited about this

The Texan installed the newest version of Office on my computer last night, and he spent a good ten minutes assuring me that while it looks very different from what I'm used to, and that nothing will be where I want it to be, after a couple of days I'll have gotten all up to speed and will be a happy camper. (He used to be an IT tech and thus knows how quickly users get frustrated with their computers.)

A couple of days? Two hours into it and I'm already loving it. It does have things shifted around a bit but so far I've been able to find everything I need.

But the absolute gravy or cherry on the top (depending on whether you feel like dinner or dessert) is that the Word documents all have a function where the bottom left-hand corner automatically keeps track of how many words you've typed. It keeps up with you and you can highlight some text, at which point it will say how many words that text is out of the overall total.

I cannot begin to express how much this function tickles me. It might be because for my work, nothing is ever indicated in page length but in word count, and sometimes when a piece is coming along very slowly or with great difficulty, I take comfort in highlighting sentences/paragraphs to find out how many words are contained therein and thus demonstrate to myself that I only need ten more just like them (or whatever number words out to be). This new capability is only feeding my word count addiction. MORE PLEASE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>