Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Monday, March 02, 2009

The gauntlet has been thrown

Saturday night, The Texan and I went out for dinner for my (thirtymumble) birthday. I asked him to find a good Italian restaurant, as we rarely go out for it. Mama Ladyship is Italian and frankly most Italian places in the United States serve their food far too sweet. The Texan more than exceeded my hopes with Luca, a restaurant in the Fairmont Hotel* in downtown San Antonio. The food was wonderful, they had a great wine selection**, but they have something few other restaurants can claim.

When we walked into the Fairmont's lobby, we were greeted with a friendly, big yellow Lab. I thought maybe he was with a guest, but a few steps further and we saw his bed and a few toys. The Texan found out that the dog - whose name is Luke - was rescued by the owner of the Fairmont and now has full run of the place. He can wander around at will and often is requested by guests to go up to their rooms and chill with them for a while. Best of all, the dog has his own business card. He's the director of pet relations, and his business card is nicer than mine. Seriously, is your business card gold-embossed? Luke's is.

* The Fairmont's claim to fame, outside of Luke the dog of course, is that it used to be a few blocks over. Wanting to change location, and not wanting to deal with the historical society, they moved it on a truck to its present location.

** I went with our waiter's recommendation and had a not-too-fruity pinot noir to go with my ravioli. This was after the prosecco I had with our appetizers and before the Bombay Sapphire gin and tonics I tossed back at Drink afterwards. I spent most of yesterday curled up on the couch, rehydrating. Even hungover, though, and in the mood for brainless entertainment, "Bridget Jones' Diary 2" still sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>