Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Friday, April 22, 2005

The sweetest place on earth

Work isn't really happening for me today, so instead, I'm harnassing my high-powered research skills to a much more lucrative end: figuring out which rides I'm going to go on tomorrow. A few of us are going to Hershey Park (http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/index.asp). So very excited. I haven't been to a theme park in a decade. I used to work myself up into a froth over them, too. Growing up in LA meant going to Disneyland at least once a year or so. And my hometown is less than five minutes away from Knott's Berry Farm (www.knotts.com), which meant that a sizable portion of my high school worked there at one point or another and would get you in for free.

Besides the fun of going on rollercoasters, I'm hoping this trip will erase past wrongs. Or at least replace an unpleasant memory with a much nicer one. When I was 11, my family did a road trip from DC to my mom's home town in upstate New York. En route, we stopped at Gettysberg to see the war memorial there. I was, I thought, nauseous from car ride, so I spent that time curled up on the floor of the car while the rest of the Ladyship posse explored the battlefield. My nausea didn't subside and in fact got worse as the trip progressed, to the point where we passed up stopping in Hershey so that we could get me to a bed. As it turned out, my appendix came *thisclose* to bursting on that damn car ride. So whenever I think about Gettysberg and the town of Hershey, psychosomatic waves of nausea roll over me. No matter what happens tomorrow at the theme park, it can only be an improvement over my last trip in that neck of the woods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>