Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

RED SOX RULE

I find it's best to cop the party line when you're outnumbered. While in Boston this weekend, I was constantly surrounded by overly enthused fans wearing various hat/jersey combos. I ended up riding the T right past the stop for Fenway park an hour or two before game time and damn near got squashed by the mass of humanity exiting for the game.

Verdict? Boston was a lot of fun. I must say, however, I think perhaps I did not get a weekend that's indicative of the norm. It was 70 degrees and just stunning out, so everyone was very relaxed and friendly. Kind of like DC when it's nice out - it's like we've been replaced with easy-going pods. I'm sure a winter visit would be a different experience.

We went out for Indian and Italian food and took FilmStar's beagle (he was free. a freeble! ha, that joke never gets old) for a four-hour walk around town on Sunday. I did zero shopping, for which my wallet thanks me. I also got caught up on Season 1 of "Arrested Development" (FilmStar has the DVD). I am very sad to hear that Fox may be canceling that show.

The Boston's T (metro for us DC types) is cute as a button. I understand it's the country's oldest subway, and it certainly looks like it. I found it similar to one of the rides at Disneyland - Autopia, maybe - where the car clanks along a preestablished track verrrrry slowly. Then you go above ground and it becomes a trolley! Neat. I could not shut my yap about the T. I guess because DC's metro is so devoid of any personality whatsoever (except for the whole tardiness and unreliability. So, change that to, devoid of any positive personality traits).

Monday, however, was something of a mess. It was Patriot Day, which I think they made up just to have an excuse to close down the city in time for the Boston Marathon. I got up at 3:30 to catch my early morning flight, because god forbid I miss one second of work more than I have to, and thus was not in the best of moods anyway. It did not help, though, when my flight got cancelled, other flights were far too over-booked for me to ride stand-by, and I got jerked around by various airline personnel. I resorted to quoting FAA regulations in order to get a voucher out of the airline personnel, which I got, but I would have much rather have just had a non-eventful flight. Plus, I kept having to go in and out of various security checkpoints, and at every one, they must have been really bored, because the security guys flirted with me. The first time, I was all, oh teehee, you boys; by the fourth time, my attitude was, stick it where the sun don't shine, I am not in the mood! I ended up spending seven hours in Logan airport, had to fly to one more city than originally planned, and got to DC about five hours before my luggage did. Good to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>