Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Survived!

I made it through my stage debut Saturday, but it was a loooong day. We got to the theater at 8:30 AM and left at 10:30 PM. In the meantime, we had a tech rehearsal (where we did our routine to see how it worked with the lights), three performances, and a LOT of down-time backstage. As far as I know, I didn't screw anything up too badly. It was scary, but not as scary as I'd anticipated. I think what made it easier was that the lights are so bright, you can't really see anything off stage. So as long as you didn't think too much about the critical eyes of the audience, it was okay. I’ll wait to see it on the DVD (the studio's putting one together) before I give my final assessment.

Overall, though, I was really impressed with how well Sahara Dance had organized everything. They'd brought us high-energy snacks for the morning, divided up the dressing room so that there weren't any catfights over mirror space, and even catered a dinner for us after the 1st show. There was one problem, though, that they couldn't have planned for. The theater’s bathrooms gave out half an hour before our final performance, which meant that if you had to go to the bathroom, you had to have the theater manager walk you to a place that was five minutes away. They had to delay the show for about 20 minutes as some of the dancers in the first act could. Not. Wait.

The absolute best part, though, was that one of the women in my class ordered little dolls off the internet and made bellydance versions of everyone in the veil routine. Mine has long brown hair that’s up (because I wore my hair up) and green eyes (well, mine are hazel. Close enough). And she has on an outfit that is *identical* to what we wore. This is as close as I’m ever going to get to having my own action figure. Seriously, coolest thing ever. As I said before, we had quite a bit of down-time, so we taped the whole group up in a V formation and took lots of pictures. That was the hottest commodity in the dressing room - everyone was coming by to check them out and snap some shots of them. I love my dolly and have brought her to my office so she can be with me always.

Actually, I lied. The real best part of the performance was having friends in the audience at all three shows. I really appreciated their support and willingness to cough up money for a ticket. Knowing that there was someone in the audience rooting for you and who could reassure you afterwards really made a difference. Thanks a million, you guys. I owe you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>