Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Friday, August 05, 2005

80s trivia

I almost feel foolish for having to ask this, but pop quiz, hotshot: what movie is this conversation from?

Man #1: Married?
Man #2: Yes, married!

If it takes you more than .3 milliseconds to figure that out, you clearly were not a child of the 80s.

One of my closest and oldest friends is getting married this fall and asked me to be in her wedding. The maid of honor, another one of my closest and oldest friends, scheduled the bridal shower on Labor Day weekend so I could make it to LA. Other than that, I was not really involved in the shower planning itself. So when my mom brought up that there was something unusual on the invitation she received, I had no idea what she was talking about. All she and my dad would say was that there was something strange tacked on the end.

So I had them read the invite to me over the phone. All of it was your regular shower wording, until the bitter end, where it had the dialogue from above. As soon as my mom started reading it, I started laughing. Hard. Clearly my parents have not memorized all of "Sixteen Candles." I tried to explain to them the scene, but it was too tiresome and I left it at "Inside joke." One of the many things I regret about not having cable is that I miss getting to watch "Sixteen Candles" at any time of the day or night, as it is always, and I mean ALWAYS, on at least two channels simultaneously. And while some of it seems horribly racist - I mean, my god, Long Duck Dong's character is breathtakingly offensive - somehow, the movie's familiarity is comforting. And who hasn't dreamed of a Jake Ryan coming to pick them up in a red convertible? I have a colleague who swears he's ruined her for real-life men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>