Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Good lord I suck

And not in the way that's guaranteed to make me some friends, either. When I started at this new gym, I was stoked (yes, I grew up in southern California; why do you ask?) to see that they offered a class that was a combination of pilates and yoga. I've been doing pilates for the past several years. I'm nowhere near being an expert, but I at least can recognize and approximate most of the moves.

Yoga, on the other hand, is a whole new and painful world for me.

I was a tomboy growing up. I played some pretty competitive team sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball) and individual sports (swimming, track and field). As an adult, besides playing on various intramural teams, I visit (hee. I don't stay there though) the gym and take dance classes. Suffice it to say I have put my body through a fair amount.

But out of everything I've done, yoga is the one activity that consistently makes me feel like I'm *thisclose* to puking.

My friend Grits assures me that yoga is something that you gain more from the more you do it. I sure as shit hope so. In the meantime, I'll continue struggling with it. At times, the only thing keeping me going during class is how much I actively hate my instructor. Which I understand is kinda against the concept of yoga, but you know, you do what you can with what you have.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yoga... one of my favorite topics. A friend tried hot yoga for the first time last week. She felt sick (light headed/nauseated) two days after! I felt so bad for her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>