Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

On my own

This spring, I didn't just return back to work after my truncated maternity leave: I went on business trip after business trip after business trip.  Spring is always our busy season for travel and this year was no different.  All told, I was gone three weeks out of six, and the first trip was during the time when La Principessa still wasn't sleeping through the night. 

This is a long-winded way of saying that the Texan is on a week-long visit to his friend in SA as a thank-you for dealing with the baby by himself for so long.  He left yesterday and I kid you not, less than one hour after he left, the power crews working outside accidentally knocked over the transformer on our block - oopsie! - and took out the power.  On a DC summer day, that's bad enough.* What had me panicking was that I knew there was something I supposed to do with the computers in the house when the power went off but I had no idea what, and the Texan was unreachable.  90 minutes of sweating later**, the power came back on and all the computers powered up nicely. Except for one: the one that we use for our TV and movie viewing.  I tried not to freak out but goddammit, I had saved up a lot of stuff to watch while the Texan was gone and if I had to spend a week alone here WITHOUT a TV, I was going to be pissed.  Fortunately, the Texan was able to log on from his friend's house in SA and fix whatever was ailing the TV computer.  Hooray!

* When I realized what had happened, I went outside to go ask the crew when they thought it would be fixed. To their credit, they were going up and down the street, knocking on doors to tell people what had happened. I told the guy that I had a baby in the house and I needed to make sure her formula kept cold. He heard "baby," paled, and got his supervisor over to apologize to me and assure me that it would be an hour, hour and a half, tops.  I have no problem with using this baby as an excuse for wanting my A/C back on. 

** One good thing about the baby's sleep habits is that she loves to sleep in her crib now.  You laugh, but the first month or so that she was at home, she slept mostly in her car seat and would not stay in her crib without wailing.  The bad thing is that now she insists on going to her crib for naps, and her room is hot even with the A/C on. I was so worried about her over-heating that I grabbed a book and sat in her room, sweltering along with her, to make sure that she would be okay. She was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>