Her Ladyship

Notes from the gutter.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I survived!

I'm sure many of you were at the edge of your seat after that last post, wondering how Her Ladyship fared as a single parent for a week.  Well, not going to lie, there were some rough times, but overall, it went okay.

One thing that I did go through was the dreaded day 3 freak-out. The Texan had noticed that La Principessa would be fine the first couple of days that I'd be gone on a business trip but absolutely lose it on the third day. This was my chance to experience it and hoo boy, did I.  The way that she expresses it is a complete meltdown at bedtime, necessitating holding her until she sobs herself to sleep in your arms, leaving you wrung out and exhausted from the previous hours of wailing.  The last day of The Texan's trip, I used some tips that he recommended which he found worked with her when I was gone on my trips. They worked for me too, so I sent him a text to his cell and iPad to let him know and thank him. He responded via the cell phone; then, I got a message from the iPad asking who this was.  I wrote back, "Ha ha," thinking he was being sarcastic because I'd sent the same message to two devices. Then I thought, what if that wasn't a joke? Turned out that the messages I'd been sending to his iPad had not been going to him. Some stranger got baby updates, baby pictures, and a shot of me looking exhausted on our couch. Thank god nothing too embarrassing was sent out but still, it does give you pause.

The other repercussion from this trip is that I used The Texan's absence to watch a bunch of TV shows and movies that I'd been saving up.  One of them was "Les Miserables."  Now, when I was in high school, I thought that that musical - oh, and Phantom of the Opera too, I admit it - was some classy entertainment. I even made a tape of a tape of the Les Mis soundtrack. Yes, I am old - that was back even before CDs were common.  Anyways, I had the soundtrack to Les Mis memorized and I was very much surprised by how much of it came back when I watched the movie. Like, all of it.  Unfortunately, I think it got the synapses in my brain firing and then just never got them to stop because, no joke, for the past 10 days, I have had some song from Les Mis running constantly in the background of my mind.  Constantly.  Without end.  The only way I have been able to make it stop is by inserting Vampire Weekend's "Oxford Comma" in its stead but that is a temporary solution.  I mean, it was a good movie, but there's only so much of it you can take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
>